Monday, March 1, 2010

Excuse me...you left your pants!

Last February (2009) I had to travel to San Francisco for work and it happened to coincide with Valentine's Day weekend. I was actually traveling with a few co-workers and some of us decided to stay the weekend. I finished up my client meetings on Friday and then Saturday morning I went off to Napa to spend a day wine tasting with Vicki and Kelli.

We had a great day taking in the Napa Valley and tasting some fabulous wine. So, you would think when my friends dropped me off at the Hyatt to settle in for the evening, that would have been the end of my Valentine's Day, right? Not exactly.

I checked in to the hotel and was immediately taken in by the ambiance of the lobby and the music and entertainment in the lounge. I went up to my room to relax and settle in, and when I arrived inside the room I found an invitation to come down to the lounge and have a complimentary drink at the bar to celebrate V-day. I figured "why not?", I'm alone on V-day and who would turn down a free drink??

I headed down to the lobby and redeemed my free drink. Of course, once I was down there I wanted to take in all that the Hyatt had to offer and decided to find myself a nice place to do some people watching. I found a lovely little area of the lounge where I relaxed with my drink and started to soak in all that was around me. As I glanced around the lounge, my eyes came in contact with a pleasing gentleman directly across from me that happened to be staring at me as I glanced in his direction. He quickly perked up when my gaze landed on him and got up with his drink and came over to sit by me.

As he approached he was like "are you Karen?" Quickly, I realized this was a case of mistaken identity and the temporary excitement I was feeling faded almost instantly. I promptly responded "no, I'm not." Then he got this look of disappointment and said "I can't believe this is happening to me again!" After some discussion he had informed me that he had been stood up for the last three Valentine's and that he was supposed to meet a blind date that evening. He had supposedly been waiting over an hour and when he saw me alone and looking around, he figured I was the blind date. I can't really say if this is really true or if this was his standard V-day pick up line, and maybe he came to the Hyatt annually to pick up single women...who knows.

We decided since we were both alone to make the best of it and enjoy each other's company a bit longer over SEVERAL more drinks. After much chatting and much drinking, we managed to make it back to my room.

I don't remember too much about the details of the evening after that, but I do remember the next morning. I woke up alone, but as I surveyed the room I noticed his pants were on the floor and his wallet was on the table. I was baffled...where had he gone and without his pants?! I figured he must have been in the bathroom or maybe out in the hall (possibly locked out??), but when I checked I found nothing. I roamed a little further out in the hall and even went down to the lobby to see if there was any sign of him and nothing. I didn't even recall his name, I had no idea how to contact this guy. All I could imagine was this guy in his underwear walking the streets of San Fran with no money and no pants!!

I checked his wallet and found his license was in it and over $100 in cash. I figured what must have happened was that he left the room at some point and when he tried to return he didn't have the key card. I was zonked out and sound asleep, so I probably never heard his knocking. I just don't understand why he wouldn't have just stayed outside the door until the morning though?? So strange! I also can't figure out why he would be leaving the room without pants? Ice machine maybe??

As I prepared to check out, I took his pants and neatly folded them along with his wallet, and I brought them down to the lobby. How was I supposed to explain this to the front desk?! I approached the girl at the counter and I hesitated for a minute when she asked how she could help me. I awkwardly said "I need to leave these pants and wallet with you in your...um...well..lost and found, I guess". She looked at me strangely and then said "where did they come from?" All I could think in my head is this girl was totally judging me at that moment, but I felt no shame...I just said "they were left in my room and I don't really know the person that left them, his license is in the wallet so I'm hoping you can find him that way." She grinned slightly and she said "was this a hotel guest that left them in the room?" and I just sheepishly said "I don't really know, I just met him in the lounge, but I hope you find him, thanks!" She ended it with "thank you ma'am, I hope you enjoyed your stay at the Hyatt and we hope to see you again soon"....I'm not so sure they really mean that last part!

I left feeling satisfied I had at least done the right thing and whatever happened after that was up to the very tactful employees of the Hyatt!

Random Acts of Debbie asks that you take a moment and comment, good or bad, I welcome it all!

No comments: