Tuesday, March 2, 2010

You suck girl!

Have you ever heard of the band Dogstar?? You're not the only one if you haven't! Well, Dogstar is Keanu Reeves' band that he started back in the mid-1990's. Now, don't get me wrong, I love Keanu...but his band was something to be desired.

I think it was 1995 (might have been 1996) Dogstar came to Portland and they were playing in a small dive bar venue downtown. My friends and I had gotten wind of this and immediately scored tickets to go see them play. It was around the same time the movie "A Walk in the Clouds" was just coming out. So, I was way excited to see Keanu in person. I had a major crush on this guy!

When we entered the venue we staked out our spots pretty close to the stage so we could get a close up view of Keanu and take in all that his band had to offer. When they came out everyone went crazy for Keanu...shouting "Keanu I love you!" (me included). So far, so good, right? Well...then they started to play. Eek. I don't want to be harsh....well, let me finish my story, because the harsh was already delivered. So, needless to say the music wasn't so great. In fact, it really sucked! Not only did it suck, but Keanu sucked the most. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I was hoping they would at least be mediocre. As they finished up their first set, I was compelled to express my disappointment. It was really loud in the bar and I felt the need to shout my commentary. As I gathered up all my might to shout out "you suck!"...everything fell silent, the music stopped, the crowd calmed...and right when there was pretty much no noise in the joint is when those exact words came belting out of my mouth.

It was the "you suck" heard around the world! As it came out, I looked up at Keanu, and there he was staring right back and me and said "thanks...thanks a lot". OMG! He knew it was me...he was fixated on me like I was his arch nemesis and he wanted to vaporize me with his eyes!

As everything wrapped up, Keanu and his band were retiring to their bus and preparing to sign autographs outside. Of course I wanted his autograph, I still loved Keanu!! My friends and I went outside and lined up in hopes to get his autograph and be that much closer to him. As he was making his way through the crowd and giving his autograph to everyone, he again fixated on me. As he approached, I put out my program and waited anxiously for his autograph. He looked at me and said "really? you think I'm going to give you my autograph? I thought I sucked!" He, indeed, did not give me that autograph! Aw, man, I'm sorry Keanu!

The story doesn't end there! So, last year (2009) I went back home to Portland to spend my birthday with my family. A friend of mine that was also hanging out in Portland around that time organized a birthday gathering for me at a Portland hangout. It was going to be a nice night of drinking and chilling with friends. A little info on my friend...he was a roadie back in the day for Dogstar! Yes, that's right. What he didn't tell me when he organized this birthday party was that Keanu was in town (I guess he hangs out in Portland now and again) and that my friend had invited him to come out that night! I guess this place is one of Keanu's favorites.

So, I show up to my birthday party and I'm greeted by my friends with cheers and birthday wishes. I go to the bar to get my first drink and I feel a tap on my shoulder. I turn around and my friend is getting all excited and says "you gotta come over here!" Somewhat interested in why he was so excited, I went ahead and followed. The crowd cleared a little and there he was...Keanu! My friend actually didn't know the "you suck" story and he introduced me to Keanu and said "this is my friend Debbie, the birthday girl!" Keanu paused for a minute, gave me a puzzled look and then says "You're the 'you suck' girl!". Holy shit!! 14 years later and Keanu remembered I told him he sucked?! And he had named me the "you suck girl"!

We laughed it off and he played happy birthday on his guitar and sang to me! Of course, at the end he asked me "did that suck, too?" This time, I was more than happy to offer him kudos!

After all that, Keanu still did not give me his autograph! Bitter much, Keanu??

Random Acts of Debbie asks that you take a moment and comment, good or bad, I welcome it all!

1 comment:

anivad said...

XD

Yeah, Keanu apparently has a really good memory for faces.