Wednesday, March 3, 2010

My mom ruined college for me!

Ever thought your mom was overprotective? Ha! You don't know overprotective until you've experienced my mom! There was a reason I chose a university 2500 miles away from home. I love my mom, but sometimes she needs to let go.

It was my second semester Freshman year when she completely humiliated me and ruined college for me forever! I was working for the department of public safety (I was a yellow jacket...we walked people all over campus from 5pm to midnight...loved it!!). One Thursday night when we finished up our shift, one of my co-workers invited me and the rest of the gang to a party his roommate was having. I didn't have any classes on Friday, so I was totally in! My roommate, who also worked for public safety, had an early morning and decided to go back to our dorm.

I went ahead to the party and upon arriving felt the need to catch up on the drinking since the party had already started...so, I might have drank a little too much in a short time. While I was innocently enjoying myself, I had no idea what was about to happen and what my mom was doing...

She started by calling my roommate and harassing her because I hadn't called and she didn't know where I was. Alicia, who was already sound asleep, informed her that I went to a party with co-workers and that I would probably call her when I got home. My mom did not like this answer! She called Alicia 10 times before she finally took the phone off the hook! Keep in mind, I didn't have a cell phone until Sophomore year, so it wasn't like anyone could get a hold of me.

After she failed to track me down via Alicia, she moved on to calling public safety. Since it was after hours, student safety reps were gone and it was just the full-time safety officers handling the phones. Unfortunately, she happened to get a hold of one of the older officers that was very sympathetic to her panic and concern. She had this man convinced I had been kidnapped or abducted and that only he could save my life! Ugh, she's awful! He said he would keep officers on the lookout for me, but offered my mom the phone number of my supervisor that had worked that evening. My supervisor was a law student and had a MAJOR exam the next day! My mom called her around 2am and broke her down until she caved and gave my mom the phone number of the guys house I was at....noooooo!!!!

So back to me at the party. I was having a great time and definitely had my share of alcohol. I was sitting on the couch and playing with the guys hedgehog (he was so cute!), when I heard the phone ring. I thought nothing of it, it wasn't my house, of course it wouldn't be for me...wrong! Suddenly, I hear someone yell out..."is Debbie still here?" I was a bit startled and I was like "me?", to which he replied "yeah, the phones for you". I answered the phone completely confused..."um hello". Then came the guttural scream that was my mother. She was so loud everyone in the house could hear her yelling at me. It was awful. Instead of just letting her get it out of her system and hanging up and going home, I suddenly got brave (it was the alcohol) and screamed back. I told her she had no control over me and I could do whatever I wanted. I told her she had no right calling me. People at the party even knew what I was doing was a bad idea, I saw their faces just waiting for the reply from my mother, it was as if they were getting ready to witness my death.

She was not happy about my sudden boldness and the screams she let out practically shook the house. I simply hung up the phone with my head hung low and went to grab my jacket. There was a moment of sympathy before they started laughing at me and teasing me about my "mommy calling". It was a brief moment.

From that point forward every party I went to for the next 4 years...people always made a mom joke to me! I never lived it down. Not to mention Alicia and my supervisor hated me! She ruined college! Thanks mom.

Random Acts of Debbie asks that you take a moment and comment, good or bad, I welcome it all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are a chubby lonely little we e dwarf. Your hubris is the butt of jokes wherever you go.