Thursday, March 4, 2010

"Push the cow"

When I was younger my family had a cow. I remember the cow from a very young age and I remember they let me name her when I was 4. I called her Bessy...give me a break, I was 4, I couldn't be much more creative than this! I loved that cow, I thought she was our pet. Those big brown eyes were so endearing. I looked forward to going out and seeing Bessy, and while she didn't do much more than stand there and moo occasionally, I thought she was the best cow ever!

You might ask why my parents would have a cow as a pet? I never really thought twice about it when I was a kid, I thought it was normal. I wasn't very observant either. Bessy changed a lot through the years. She was fatter some times, skinnier others, her spots seemed a little different. Her personality a little off at times. I didn't really think anything of it. I had no idea how many "Bessy's" we really had. Yes, that's right, my family was eating Bessy. My parents never had the heart to tell me the cow was for consumption. I didn't learn this until I was 1o. I guess they figured that I was getting old enough I was going to figure it out on my own, just like Santa Clause.

So now that you know all about Bessy, let me tell you how I saved her from burning in the barn! Ok, well I saved her after I caused the barn to burn down! Yes, I have a little problem. Some might call me a pyromaniac. I don't think it's that extreme, I just really like fire. I don't know why, maybe it's the warmth, maybe the beautiful colors of a flame, there's just something about it. So, one night I was hanging out in the barn with the hay bales and Bessy. I had a box of matches and was enjoying one of my favorite past times, playing with fire! How much harm could a little match do?! A lot! So, I was letting one of the matches burn down and I waited a little too long with it in my hand because it was about to burn my fingers. So, naturally I threw the match to prevent burning myself. Just a short time later I smelled something burning and then felt the heat of the flames. Yep, the hay bales had caught fire! Once that happens, there's really no stopping it.

I knew I couldn't stop the inevitable burning of the barn to the ground, but I couldn't let Bessy be an innocent victim! I loved that cow (whatever version of Bessy she was). Plus, I knew my parents would be mad about the barn, but they would be a million times more mad if I killed the cow! I tried to lead Bessy out of the barn, but she just wouldn't go. So, I got behind Bessy and with both hands on her butt cheeks just pushed! (If you haven't experienced the visual of this in my story telling, you are not getting the full effect, but I did my best to describe!) Bessy belted out a couple of annoyed moos, but slowly she started to give in to my pushing and head out of the barn. Yes, I saved Bessy!! I was a hero! Well, I was a short lived hero, until they found out I was the one that burned the barn down. Minor details.

My parents were pretty livid about the barn, but I was right, they did give me credit for saving the cow! I don't want to talk about what happened to Bessy just a few months later :(

Random Acts of Debbie asks that you take a moment and comment, good or bad, I welcome it all!

No comments: