Sunday, March 7, 2010

Esco-hell!

Anyone know about Escondido, CA? If not, let me share a few of my fonder moments of this lovely place. This is where I work and if I had any say in it, I would definitely relocate my company! I'm sure there are nice places somewhere in Escondido, but not where my company is located, and really it is no place for any corporation to be.

The first time I saw this place was when I came from Michigan for an interview. I had googled the directions and I was staying closer to San Diego. I had no idea how far north Escondido was and I thought for sure I was getting lost. As I exited per the instructions on my google map, I thought I definitely must have been in the wrong place. Why would any corporate office be in the midst of this "seediness"? I made a couple of wrong turns and placed a call to the HR contact at the company. I got the receptionist and she asked me if I saw the Burger King. You lead people to your company by finding a Burger King? At any rate, I found the Burger King and made the turn as she suggested. Sitting in the middle of the street next to a car rental place was this lone building that seemed very ill placed. Welcome to Escondido!

Since working there, I have had a few interesting experiences. There isn't much around the office, a few things in walking distance, but most things you can only get to by car. However, there is a Subway within walking distance and a couple of gas stations. The Subway became my lunch destination early on.

One day I went for a walk around the block, I wanted to stop by the gas station and get some water and gum. As I was walking down the street (by myself) a car pulled up on the curb and the guy rolled down his window and screamed out "you working? how much?!" Um, excuse me? Do I look like a prostitute?? I just replied in a completely offended tone "Are you talking to me? I am not a hooker!" He sped off quickly! My co-workers were very amused by this. In fact, after that story if they saw me walking they would roll down their windows and scream out "how much?"...very funny!

I had hoped that was an isolated incident, maybe I was wearing flashy shoes or something? It wasn't long after that experience I went for another walk. This time just to walk and I went up another block from where I had been before. Big mistake, because I think I was encroaching on some working girl's territory. I was walking down Washington Street and this woman was walking towards me. At first glance I had assumed she was probably a working girl. When she was right in front me she stopped and said "excuse me bitch, but what do you think you are doing?!" I was a little stunned. I just replied "pardon me?" She then said "are you new? you should know this territory is taken! Don't think you can start working here!" Again?? Really?? Is it just because I'm walking alone? Is the area so bad that the only reason a woman would be walking alone is because she's a hooker?? The answer is simply 'Yes'. I kindly responded to her and said "don't worry, I'm not taking over your territory, I was going for a walk." She said "that's what they all say, honey!"

On another occasion I was walking to Subway to get some lunch. I had only made it to the corner on the same street as my office. I had just rounded the corner when a car pulled over and stopped on the street. The person said something out the window that sounded like "Debbie", so I thought maybe I knew him. As I got closer, I could have sworn it was my friends husband. So, I was not leery about approaching the car. However, I soon realized it was not her husband and then I stepped back. The guy asked me "you need a ride?" And I was like "no I don't need a ride, thanks". Then he said "no, I mean do you need a ride?" It was clear to me at that point he was trying to solicit me. This was getting ridiculous! I just got angry this time and was like "no, I don't need a ride! I'm not a hooker damnit!" He freaked out and drove off!

I thought my bad experiences were just limited to being considered a prostitute, but the other day I was walking to the gas station again to get gum (yes, I'm addicted to gum!). There is a fairly large homeless population in Escondido along with the prostitutes. I've never really had much of an issue with the homeless before. I was walking down the sidewalk and I saw a homeless man leaning against the fence. Normally, I just walk by and don't make eye contact. Sometimes they take that as a challenge, so I just keep my eyes forward. As I made my way towards him and about to pass, he just comes forward and kicks me. He kicked me! Why? He screamed something at me, but I couldn't understand it. Maybe he was in partnership with the hooker who's territory I was taking over?? Who knows.

I've come to the conclusion that I need to invoke the buddy system anytime I leave the place by foot!

At least it is a constant source of entertainment. I look forward to the days when there is "activity" in the field behind our office. It is a frequent stopping ground for all the "crazies" in Escondido. The other day a lady was flailing her arms and running around the field and screaming stuff. She kept grabbing at stuff on the ground and throwing it up in the air. We watched with great excitement from our windows as the police came and the drama unfolded. There is always a show! Oh and let's not discount the joy of finding used condoms in the parking lot or seeing people having sex in the back of cars in the day care center's parking lot. Oh, Escondido, how I love thee! NOT! I have affectionately named this home away from home as "Esco-hell". Come visit some time!

Random Acts of Debbie asks that you take a moment and comment, good or bad, I welcome it all!

No comments: