Saturday, February 27, 2010

The "Norm" of urgent care

Did you ever watch "Cheers"? Remember, how they would always shout "Norm!" when he came into the bar? Ya, that's almost what the nurses do with me when I come strolling into urgent care almost on a weekly basis (sometimes even more).

I'm NOT an urgent care junkie and I'm not a hypochondriac, really! I'm just really accident prone and well...things happen to me that just don't happen to normal people.

Once I went to urgent care and they assigned me a doctor to see and I had been there so many times, I knew that the doctor was new to urgent care. When I went in to see him, I said "oh you are new here!" He responded in a surprised tone "yes, how did you know that?" I told him to take a quick glance at my history and he would know. He pulled up my record on the computer and his eyebrows raised and all he could say was "oh wow, you are a frequent visitor!". It got to the point where I would get excited to see what urgent care doctor I would get and always hoped for another newbie! There is something special about their shocked expressions when they see my history. I can't imagine what they think about me.

When I walk into the Vandever Medical Center I get the sense I bring smiles to all their faces. I truly believe that the nurses take bets as soon as they see me on what it's going to be this time...is it an injury, is it sickness, is it food poisoning?? I think they take bets. The last time I went in, I swear it was like they were watching a horse race as the one nurse asked me "what seems to be the problem?"...and they waited anxiously to see who was going to win the bet! As soon as I said what my symptoms were, one nurse was clearly happy while the rest sighed in defeat!

Sometimes I see other "regulars" there too. I get the sense some feel like I'm encroaching on their territory. There is one old man that I imagine always wants to whack me with his cane. I saw him staring at me once as I waited and I'm positive the thought was going through his head. He was angry the time before because they called me back before him. I'm sorry sir...I really am not trying to take your place at urgent care!

As much as I don't like to have to go to urgent care because I have injured myself or I am sick again, I have to say being a regular and knowing that I bring some kind of entertainment or joy to the doctors and nurses at Kaiser, makes me feel like it's all worth it. Thanks for making me feel so welcome....it's a place where everyone knows my name!

Random Acts of Debbie asks that you take a moment and comment, good or bad, I welcome it all!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's pretty amusing, Debbie! On the other hand, if it's as hard to get an appointment with your doctor in CA as it is here in GA, then I can see where it's easier and often better to go to Urgent Care. Most doctor's offices have such bad hours that Urgent Care just makes more sense. And often you get better care there, too.