Sunday, April 18, 2010

On top of the world!!

The title says it all...I feel on top of the world! This week has been another week of milestones and amazing experiences. I feel as though I'm really starting life all over again with a completely different outlook on the world, and it feels amazing!

On Friday I went with a friend to a trapeze class and actually learned how to swing on the trapeze. What an experience! Once upon a time I would have laughed at anyone that would have asked me if I wanted to go to a trapeze class with them and laughed even harder at the idea I could fit into the belt, climb that VERY tall ladder, and even dare swing from the trapeze bar. Now, my reaction was quite different. I immediately said yes and I had no fear other than the fear of falling (which we all know I do quite a bit of!) and the excessive adrenaline of climbing up that high and falling into a net. Before I lost weight I did plenty of adventure sports, but I could never do them carefree and just truly enjoy them. There was always the stress of whether or not I could get into the equipment, meet the requirements, perform the tasks like everyone else. I would get so worried about those things that when it came time to do anything, the moment would always be overshadowed with stress.

I wasn't even good at trapeze, I couldn't master my knee hang or back flip, and my "banana" form never was quite right, but it didn't matter. I just did it an enjoyed myself and knew that I wasn't bad because I was limited by my weight, I was just bad because I have no balance, coordination, or grace of any kind! lol!

I was already on a high from trapeze and on Saturday when I went to urgent care and weighed in, I discovered I had lost 5 more pounds....which meant I had officially lost HALF of my body weight. I was ecstatic. That, in itself, had me on a natural high. I almost forgot why I was urgent care and was going to leave after I weighed!

It doesn't even end there! The best is yet to come. Today, I went skydiving in California for the first time! It was the most incredible and amazing experience of my life. I proudly wrote in my weight on the form we had to fill out and didn't even think twice about being able to go up! When we had the option of wearing a jumper, I didn't get that nervous scared feeling in my stomach that they wouldn't have a jumper that would fit me. In fact, I wore a large jumper and it was kind of hanging on me, I should have totally gone with the medium! Medium!! that's so weird to say. When the instructor was strapping me into my harness and had to keep tugging at it to get it tight, I felt somewhat exhilarated that his issue was getting it tight enough on me and not how to get it to just fit! When we were up on the plane and I had to sit in his lap (ooo la la btw), I didn't have a single worry about doing so. No thoughts of crushing him, of hearing that awful groan when you take the wind out of the person, and no concerns about having enough slack for him to strap me to him (again...ooh la la!! they were all hot!). For the first time I just enjoyed the experience (just like with the trapeze) and it was so new to me. I took it all in...flying through the air at 120 mph at 13,000 feet about the ground. I just smiled and absorbed all there was to see and my instructor was able to spin us around and do tricks without any effort or issues at all. When we landed, I did crash and burn, but not because I was overweight, just because I'm Random Acts of Debbie! He toppled over me....hehe, I didn't mind that either :-)

I am completely on top of the world. I feel like I have a second chance at life and this version is so much better!

Now I'm just focused on what's next....hmm, a base jump? rock climbing? kayaking? So many things to do!! Of course, I have to fit it in while I'm getting certified to be a skydiving instructor!

Random Acts of Debbie asks that you take a moment and comment, good or bad, I welcome it all!

No comments: