Sunday, April 4, 2010

Snuggie tragedy...it's not all fluffy and warm

I got my first snuggie for Christmas this year. I guess my mom couldn't handle the idea I didn't have one yet! I have to admit, I wasn't SO upset at the idea of getting a snuggie. I probably would have never gone out and bought one on my own, but I didn't mind when I was presented with one Christmas Eve! Especially since it was freezing in my parent's house! It made the cut of xmas presents and came home with me to San Diego.

We were having some cold nights in San Diego...yes, that happens! We have Winter here too you know! So one evening when it got a little chilly in my condo, I took full advantage of being a new snuggie owner and pulled it out its box and wrapped myself up all warm and cozy. I was definitely enjoying it and I had even called my mom to tell her I was using the snuggie and how much I liked it.

I had noticed that it was awfully long, which seemed a bit annoying, but figured it was also nice because I could cover my feet. I was laying down in my bedroom with the snuggie wrapped around me and decided I was thirsty and should go get some water. I got up to walk into the kitchen and I took about 10 steps when my feet got all tangled up in the snuggie and I lost my balance. I'm not sure how I did it, but I was so entwined in the snuggie that it tripped me and I had no way of gaining control and preventing the fall. Timber! Down I went! Arms flailing, feet trapped, falling face forward.

Unfortunately, I had made it most of the way to the kitchen, so when I tripped I was just outside the edge of the kitchen where the granite counter top begins. So, as I fell forward, I hit my head really hard on the corner of the granite counter. It was about 8:45pm when I had gotten up for water, I remember looking at the clock. After I fell the next thing I remember was coming to on the floor with the snuggie still wrapped around my legs and my cheek pressed to the kitchen floor. My vision was very blurry, but I was squinting hard to try to make out the clock on the stove. I wiped my eyes several times because I thought I was seeing it wrong. Did it really say 9:40pm?? What happened to the last hour?! That's when I realized I had passed out from the fall. I felt around my head and found the large bump on the left side of my head where I had hit, and as I tried to stand I was dizzy and a little disoriented.

I pondered for over 30 minutes going to urgent care (as I should have for a head injury!), but I just couldn't bear the humiliation this one would bring. As it is, the urgent care staff already thinks I'm a walking disaster. Could I really go in there and say I tripped over my snuggie, hit my head on the kitchen counter, and passed out for an hour?? I couldn't do it! They would have that in their minds every time I came back. I couldn't show my face in urgent care again! I took my chances that I would be ok and skipped the urgent care visit for this disaster!

Don't be fooled by the snuggie ads that have you believe these are good for all people, that they will keep you warm, safe, and happy. Those people are actors to force you into believing the snuggie is your best friend! This snuggie is definitely NOT my best friend. It is dangerous and should come with a warning label. Join me in writing to the makers of the snuggie in adding a warning to the box at least! I can't be alone....I encourage all victims of the snuggie to come forward and share their stories!

No comments: