Sunday, June 20, 2010

My near death experience...

Last night was one of the scariest nights of my life and that's saying a lot! I honestly thought I could die. In fact, there was a moment where I thought I was, I vividly had conversations with people that were important in my life, but are no longer with us. It was all so real and so confusing.

I started out the morning feeling sick, but it seemed to me like it might have just been a case of food poisoning. I was nauseous, dizzy and had a moderate fever. I felt well enough I still went to the citychase challenge with Greg, so I honestly didn't think much of it at that time.

Greg and I called it quits early in the race because neither of us were feeling well. When I got home the symptoms almost immediately worsened. My fever spiked, I was throwing up, I was in severe pain, and I really couldn't move. I was coherent yet I wasn't thinking clearly. I was able to text people and update facebook, but I couldn't make sense of anything else that was happening, and didn't have sense enough to call for help.

My mom called me just to say hi and after only a second of talking to me knew there was something horribly wrong with me. She freaked out and with me on the phone with her, used her cell phone to call 911. They were able to help connect to emergency services here in San Diego and they dispatched an ambulance.

My mom was trying to explain to me that an ambulance was on the way, but she said I didn't seem to understand what she was saying. Then she said I was hysterically laughing. I don't even remember that. When the paramedics arrived, I couldn't move, so I couldn't get to my door. The police were with them and broke down my door. So crazy! It's all a vague memory to me, but this is how it was explained to me. I remember them saying my name a lot, but apparently I was not responding. I had been vomiting up blood, but because I couldn't move, I was pretty much laying in a pool of blood. Coming home was not pleasant, I'll tell you that much. I remember them putting an IV on me and an oxygen mask over my face. They said I was delirious and I was having a conversation with someone that wasn't there.

When they got me to the hospital emergency room, they said I had lost a lot of blood and for a few seconds my heart stopped. They were able to determine rather quickly that I had an ectopic pregnancy that had ruptured and they rushed me into surgery. Luckily, they were able to act quickly enough to save my life. They said if it they got to me much later, I would have definitely died. That's a really scary thought.

I am thankful that I survived, but sad over the entire situation. I had literally just learned days before this happened that I was pregnant, and I had no idea it was an ectopic pregnancy. While I was unsure what I was going to do, I was excited and happy about the idea of having a baby. So, this has been quite emotional for me. Last night in the hospital was so hard for me. I was there all alone and crying and the only comfort (or lack thereof) I had was the woman in the room with me telling me to keep quiet and stop my sobbing. I'm glad she could be so sympathetic.

I'm sure I will be fine with some time and I know all things happen for a reason. I am thankful to all my friends that expressed concern for me while I was in the hospital and for all the kind words and help you have all offered to me. You all reminded me that I have a lot of people that love me and I have a lot of love to share with all of you!

Nothing can keep me down! I'm Debbie :-)

Random Acts of Debbie asks that you take a moment and comment, good or bad, I welcome it all!

No comments: