Wednesday, June 9, 2010

G'day Mate! The Vegan Aussie....


Prior to going to Australia, I did a lot of research on what vegan options were available in Sydney. Not really understanding the layout of the city and the proximity of things, I thought I was in luck because I found a lot of vegan options in my search! I was excited to experience the vegan cuisine of another country.

The first day I was there, I explored the city and became familiar with navigating around downtown and surrounding areas. I wanted to get an idea of where some of these places were, so when it was time to eat I knew where I was going. Keep in mind, I didn't have an International data plan on my phone, nor did I have a SIM card, so I couldn't rely on my GPS or googling anything! I had made a list of the places I wanted to go and the address and did my best to figure out where they were. I wasn't having much luck, it seemed none of the places I was looking for existed, or I was just in the wrong part of town. I did finally find one place, it was called Mother Choo's, and was a Taiwanese vegetarian restaurant. I went there Friday night and had hoped to meet some other vegans that could help me figure out where all the other places were around Sydney. I entered the small restaurant and was overwhelmed with a very large and enticing menu! So many options and I saw all over the wall that they were voted one of the best vegetarian restaurants in all of Australia! It was a good first choice. I was dining alone and immediately noticed a rather charming looking fellow also dining alone on the other side of the room. I noticed that he had "noticed" me. My food arrived around the same time as his did. When the server came to bring him his food he pointed in my direction and then got up from the table. The server brought his food to my table and sat it down. The charming fellow joined me :) I learned he was a Sydney native and also a vegan! Score! I have to say I love their accents. He could have been a raging carnivore and I would have still liked him. Anyway, I told him that I wasn't having much luck finding vegan options in the city, and that it seemed every time I turned a corner someone was trying to feed me kangaroo. He said that the CBD (central business district...essentially downtown and where I was staying) did not have a lot of options, but you could definitely find them hidden about in the city. That's when he offered to take me on a tour of the city the following day and explore all the vegan gems. He also offered to show me all the touristy stuff in Sydney the day after that. This guy already wanted to spend the next two days with me, I was doing something right!

On Saturday, he promptly showed up at my hotel and was eagerly awaiting our vegan tour. We went to breakfast first at a place called Iku Whole Foods. It was good, one of the better scones I've ever had and some yummy porridge! On our way back from there, we went to Paddy's market (really cool btw), and upon leaving I got splashed by a bus! He was trying to help me dry off (he was a little too friendly...but I didn't mind!), but it was hopeless, so we went back to my hotel so I could change. I revealed to him that these things happen to me...random acts that is. You never know when I'll fall, get hit by some flying object, or drenched by a passing bus. He said he was sure I was exaggerating and that it couldn't be that bad. Oh, little did he know!

Since Saturday was a pretty rainy day, we didn't really do a lot more touring of vegan dining, so we did some shopping and called it an early day. There was still Sunday to look forward to...or so I thought.

He arrived bright eyed and bushy tailed to my hotel again on Sunday morning. First on the agenda was a tour of the Sydney Opera House! Sounds like fun, right? All was going well on our walk to the Opera House, I only tripped a couple of times, but didn't crash and burn. He should have known after that I wasn't exaggerating. If anyone has been the Opera House before or seen pictures, you know there are quite a few steps leading up to the entrance. They are not steep or difficult to navigate at all...but with me, any step is a dangerous step! As we were walking up, I was being very careful and trying extra hard to watch each step. Then he pointed to something across the harbour and I lost my concentration when I looked out...that's all it took. I went for that next step without looking and I stumbled in my shape-ups and flailing arms and all started to go backwards. Fully expected. What was worse is I grabbed him as I started to fall. I usually don't do that. Down he went. I tumbled from pretty much the top of the steps to the bottom. He was a little more controlled than me and stopped his fall after only a step or two. He was freaked out! He thought I was dead. I was just a little stunned, but not dead. Did I mention he's a med student? He wanted me to see a doctor, but I said I was fine. He determined my ankle was sprained, but that I seemed to be alright outside of that. The nice thing was he let me hold on to him as we limped about the city for a little while longer before he insisted we go to my hotel and put ice on my ankle. I think he really liked going to my hotel!

He showed me Sydney and I introduced him to Random Acts of Debbie and a few other things ;) Unlike the guy that left his pants in San Francisco, he left his jacket...I considered it a souvenir :)

I told him if he wants it back he needs to come to San Diego and I'll give him the same courtesy he gave me! I wonder if he'll ever come for his jacket....or if he'd rather keep all his bones in tact?!

Random Acts of Debbie asks that you take a moment and comment, good or bad, I welcome it all!

No comments: